Monday, January 14, 2013

Off-Piste in Le Tour - Chamonix

So here I am sitting in the little village of Peuty in what I presume, by the colour of the flags, is Switzerland. I have entrusted my life into the hands of a Canadian Guy that I met in the Hostel last night. I don't often do this, but a promise to get out in the back-country is one that can't be missed.

Now I understand that this may sound a little like the start of a Brokeback Mountain storyline, but I had been previously assured that he is married, and is an experienced backcountry venturer... take that how you will.

So, as we approached Le Tour I found that me and my new mate had a lot in common. He liked to ski, and so did I (what more could you need for an sweet day out in the valley?), and as he hailed from Whistler, an epicly epic home to some infamous ranges, I could sense that today I was in for an adventure.

Left - The trek up the Le Tour Ridge, Above - View of the"Les Herbagéres" valley

After a roughly 20 minute bus journey to Le Tour we set up the Gondola and first chair. Having spotted a few passes that looked quite nice to the right (we had seen some avalanches around that area the previous week so check it out properly before riding out) we decided to take a look around the back. After a half hour trek up the ridge from the "Col de Balme, Trient, Switzerland" (for gmaps), we spotted a sweet route down. Not too tracked and the snow was still fresh. It was a good 45/50 degree decent over the back which let us sail down into the Swiss valley. (From google maps I think it's called "Les Herbagéres").  Take a look at the map link - note; this is only a rough guide... http://goo.gl/maps/MlYWA



After a good 4.5/5 km ski over some nice bowling terrain, and then later into a small valley (not advisable on fresh or heavy snow) we arrived in the village. A little flat skiing and we were at the local bus stop. 7.50€ back to Vallorcine (which is at the bottom of Le Tour). Note that this leaves at 12.30 so you would need to get on it early... Remember check the weather conditions and be safe when doing off-piste, plus go with someone who's experienced!

My next post will have some of the essential kit and some reviews of the stuff that i use. I'll also include some shops/stores that you can get it from here in Chamonix, just in case you don't have time to get it from home. 

On another note, just done my first review for Snow and Rock! So keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment